Posted on May 17, 2018 by Ashleigh Cowie
The explosion on board Turkish bulker, Ince Inebolu, in a port in Yemen is said to have been caused by a missile. ARX Maritime reported on Monday that the vessel had suffered an explosion, but it has not transpired that the explosion was actually a missile hitting the vessel.
The Turkish conglomerate Ince Shipping Group ship was at the port of Saleef when the incident occurred.
In a statement, Ince technical manager A. Yaşar Canca said that the Inebolu was anchored and awaiting permission to enter Saleef to offload a cargo of Russian wheat.
She had already called in Djibouti for an inspection and had received approval from UN officials to proceed.
The statement details how at midnight on May 10th, a missile penetrated the Number 3 topside tank and exploded inside.
The ship suffered hull damage and a hole in the shell plating.
Saudi forces responded to the scene and arranged to bring the vessel to the port of Gizan. No
personnel were injured in the alleged attack.
Saudi officials have since confirmed that the damage corresponds with damage you'd expect to see after a missile blast. A coalition spokesperson told Reuters:
"Coalition forces conducted a survey of the incident and visited the ship and found an explosion from the inside to the outside".
The region of Yemen is one that is under observation from many of the world's leaders at the moment. For the shipping world it has meant extra inspections following military cargo and weapons being smuggled in on aid ships, and many ships being held by the Houthis.
In the recent past, Houthi rebels have launched attacks on Saudi-allied vessels off Hodeidah, but until now they have not damaged any non-allied merchant ships.
An investigation has been launched in to the incident.